Monday, June 25, 2012

Book Review: EQUAL OF THE SUN by Anita Amirrezvani

Growing up one of my best friends had a dad from Iran. Only the family never referred to it as Iran. They referred to themselves as “Persian.” Over the years, spending time at their house, “Persian” came to stand for a beautiful (though unintelligible) language, sweet desserts and colorful carpets. And over the years, as more and more bad news came out of the Middle East, I think I’ve compartmentalized my beliefs: Iran as a political entity, and Persia as a culture. Little wonder, then, that I jumped at the chance to read Anita Amirrezvani’s Equal of the Sun, a historical novel about Imperial Safavi Persia.

The book tells the story of Pari Khan Khanoom Safavi, a powerful daughter of Shah Tahmasb, as told by her faithful eunuch servant, Javaher. Pari is both a diplomat and a poet, a woman of great importance. In fact, during her father’s reign she was one of his most trusted advisors. But her father’s death turns her world upside down, and she and Javaher have to negotiate a completely different world than the one they have previously inhabited.

This book was the first I’ve read about the Safavi dynasty, and I was surprised and intrigued by the power of the women in the book. Yes, they were part of an Islamic world. But according to Amirrezvani many were able to wield a behind-the-scenes power I never imagined. In fact, Pari uses her gender to her advantage. At one point, her former guardian vaguely suggests that Pari might have been involved in her brother’s death:

From behind her curtain, Pari said, “Curious rumors are always circulating amoung you men about the royal harem. You seem to imagine it as an opium den full of connivers, but it s more like an army regiment organized by rank and task. How could you know what goes on in the harem? Have you ever been inside?”

“Of course not,” said Khalil Khan.

“Then I think you are best off leaving such concerns to me.”
p. 339
I was also fascinated by the long-term orientation of the characters in the book as they created and destroyed alliances based on their own goals. Amirrezvani presents the reader with a ruthless world where the Shah was truly all-powerful, with the fate of his subjects literally in his hands, to dispose of as he saw fit. Individuals in the palace are shown constantly balancing their own needs against the Shah’s, advancing often by the destruction of others.

As a historical novel, Equal of the Sun has exactly what you’d ask for: strong, likeable characters, exotic locations, believable relationships and lots of intrigue. Even at more than 400 pages it’s a quick read, and lots of fun, although the unfamiliar names and shifting alliances were sometimes confusing. I really enjoyed it, and I’d recommend it highly for those who enjoy historical fiction, particularly those with an interest in Middle Eastern history. Another one for the Historical Fiction Challenge!

I read this book as part of a TLC Book Tour, and received a free copy of the book in return for my honest opinion. For links to other opinions, look here.

13 comments:

  1. I love to read books like that because I know so little about that part of the world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! It's funny, but I get overloaded on some parts of the world, in a literary sense, so it's great to read about a time or place that's totally new to me!

      Delete
  2. Same feelings about new places. At least read about them and enjoy it even if you cant go visit!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is one of the best things about historical fiction, isn't it? Trying to figure out where my next "trip" should take me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's a strange moment when modern day perceptions clash headlong into long held beliefs etc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The only other book I've ever read about Iran was Persepolis, so this was a really interesting counterpoint, Parrish!

      Delete
  5. What an interesting facet of history to read about! Thanks for sharing this new to me book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks -- and congrats on your upcoming wedding!

      Delete
  6. Great review -- I was really captivated by this one -- I agree that it absolutely captured what I adore about histfic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Audra! I want to go back and read her previous novel now.

      Delete
  7. This is a part of the world I haven't read much about in my fiction. I like your distinction between Iran as a political entity and Persian as a culture.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's one part of the world I'd really love to see -- sadly, I don't know if it will ever be possible. So book travel it is, for now!

      Delete
  8. I enjoyed BLOOD OF FLOWERS by this author so I'm certain I'll like this one as well.

    Thanks for being a part of the tour!

    ReplyDelete

I absolutely love comments. Thanks for taking the time to share! Col